Wednesday, November 23, 2011

moments

 (inspired by WTFH)

I am not ready to describe my moments as absolute awareness, but they were something like that. Perhaps they were the happiest moments, certainly there was a feeling of connectedness, to other people sometimes. but always to nature.
 
Earth Day 1990, Modesto; Graceada Park:
This was the 20 year anniversary of Earth Day and it was a big deal. I built the centerpiece, a huge globe with a poem I wrote about-- what else? The Earth! On the actual day, I volunteered for non-competitive "earth games " with the kids. We had a big parachute that we'd float up and then run across to the other side. There was one particular moment. I was giving the kids turns on the earth ball (a really big ball). I picked the kids up and draped them over the top of the ball. Then, holding them b the feet I would slowly roll them over the ball until they could touch the grass with wiggling fingertips. They would ooh and ah, screams and giggles of delight. It was a beautiful day to be outside, but playing with the kids is what made it special. We were trying to give them a fun connection to "nature." It didn't take much. They would stretch out little fingers and wiggle them in the grass like they'd never touched grass before. I felt content, and grateful to be part of this simple and joyful experience.
 
Warrarwe, Northern Queensland Rainforest; Australia: 
Out of much beauty and wonder there were two particular mornings. One was watching a little family of platypus emerge from their nest. The swam in a row, mommy in front. All I could hear was the swish swish of their little paddle fins. Joy at the sight nearly screamed out of me, but there i was breathless and still. Another morning, as I walked from the cabin to the bathroom to brush my teeth I encountered another little creature. Walking alone along a narrow path through dense morning fog and the first rays of day, a paddymelon hopped across the trail, stopped, looked at me, and hopped along his merry way. More silent screams of joy. Dead silence.
 
The Routeburn Trail, South Island; New Zealand: 
Shortly after my divorce, I spent two weeks hiking the "Great Walks." After two days at a steep incline with a heavy pack we reached the peak. I'm not sure how high it was, but the clouds were beneath us. I stood alone at the edge for a long time. looking over the lush, wet wilderness. At that pinnacle, I became aware of my life shifting, my direction turning. I felt wise--no, I felt wisdom. Peace at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment