Monday, May 16, 2005

Brent Cook

I miss Brent Cook. I miss his sweet voice singing "I don't wanna wait in vain". He was so open minded; he never made me feel uncomfortable expressing strange ideas. He accepted people for who they were. We dated a for a little while, but ended up just good friends. Sometimes he would come to my window late at night, knowing I would be awake. We would hang out and listen to music. When I would run into him at the natural foods co-op, we'd usually end up leaving together and cooking a big vegetarian meal. He liked seaweed, tofu, kale, oatscream, whole grains, and the like. He was one of the few people that really appreciated vegan and macrobiotic foods. He was wasn't materialistic nor was he particularly ambitious. He cared about the earth, avoided waste, and shared everything.


He was focused on his health for a long time before he died, but I didn't realize how serious his condition was. I still don't know if he knew and just didn't tell me. I wish he could have told me. I think I would have done some things differently, had I known he might not be around much longer.


About Brent's band, Problem Fish

6 comments:

  1. I have to find the tape he made me of his old band (Problem Fish, you remember). Once I locate it I'll make a copy for you...once I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:19 PM

    I knew Brent too. He was a such sweet guy. When I met him I thought he was a pest...he was a couple years younger than me and my friends knew him better than I did. He sure grew on me. I don't mean this to sound corny but he held a special place in my heart. He introduced me to U2 long before anyone else thought they were cool, back when they were labled a "Christian Rock Band". Every single time I hear U2 I think of Brent..I didn't hear about his death until four months after it happened. I'm still not sure what caused his death or where he is buried. Do you know where he's buried? I'd like to bring him some flowers. I don't know you but thanks for posting about him. I think about him too.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle. I didn't find out in time to go to the funeral. I don't know where in Modesto he is buried, but I'll let you know if I can find out. I was told he died from leukemia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many of us had the same sorts of experiences with Brent. He would always drop by when you least expected, play a song or two, maybe share a smoke, and then off into the evening he would go. It always made me feel good that he would randomly drop by, I think he knew he was always welcome. Kate and I were living in Eureka when we found out about his death and subsequent wake. It would have been nice to attend, but much better to have seen him alive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brent use to perform and hang out at my art gallery,
    "Leonard's Artspace."

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, the mythical randy magnus if i'm not mistaken? I always heard your name from the more interesting and creative people about town.

    ReplyDelete